Thursday, April 28, 2011

Thoughts of a Momma

I've been reading in Genesis and John at the same time.  That's how it is set up in The Message//REMIX: PAUSE.  It has been intriguing  to see some parallels between the two books.  I also like the fact that this book (PAUSE) includes probing questions that promote thinking about what you've read and how it may apply to your life.


All that to say, I thought that it would be interesting to write down some of my thoughts.  They might not be riveting for any of you but it might be to my boys someday - at least amusing to them.  You know the 'someday' I'm talking about.  The day when Mom is more than the lady that washes their clothes, cleans the house, prepares food for them, checks their homework, facilitates science experiments, drives them to their practices/games/lessons, and just loves them a whole bunch. Yuppers, that's the day I'm referencing here.

Fair warning - these are my thoughts in process.  They might seem random or obvious or bizarre.  It's okay. I'm good with that.

Q:  Lot - why did he put up a fight about leaving Sodom?  If he loved God, why wouldn't he want to get away from such a horrible place? Are you, like Lot, clinging to anything that God finds repulsive? (Genesis 18-20)

My thoughts: Maybe he was comfortable.  It was what he knew - what he was familiar with.  He had adjusted and adapted to his environment even if he hadn't chosen to live the same lifestyle. I believe he loved God...I don't know...maybe, like many of us, he was resistant of the change even though he knew the change would be good. He did travel a lot in his life - when he was with Abraham - and maybe he liked the fact that he was settled.  I know that I'm not always thrilled with change and yet I know in my heart I desire to follow God and obey Him heedlessly.  Hmmm...still a work in progress.

Q: How would you see God if you were Sarah? Hagar? Ishmael? Abraham? (Genesis 21-23)

My thoughts: I loved considering their various perspectives.  I'd even say this was fun.  Even though they were all a part of the same story, the role each played and how their lives were impacted varies.  God is the same God to each of them but a different facet of who He is may have been paramount in their lives based on their particular circumstances.  As I sat contemplating all of this I felt my heart fill with compassion for others; there is definitely power in genuine empathy and the ability to love someone even when you don't understand.

Sarah - God is true to His Word - the fulfiller of promise God visited Sarah exactly as he said he would; God did...what he promised...at the very time God had set.


Hagar - God is the provider of all my needs.  Protector.

Ishmael - Similar to Hagar.  God loves me even when others reject me.

Abraham - God is faithful in all circumstances.

Q: What was Jesus' answer when the crowd asked how to get on God's good side? Why, at this point, did many desert Jesus? What keeps you from walking away from him? (John 6.27-6.71)

My thoughts: I'll kind of get to the question but I first have to highlight some portions that drew me in...

They waffled: "Why don't you give us a clue about who you are, just a hint of what's going on? When we see what's up, we'll commit ourselves."  Oh, how many times have I felt this way - asking God for just a little more insight.  As if more knowledge will actually enable me to get on board with what He's calling me to do.  It definitely is a test of faith and quick obedience.

Later Jesus says "I am the Bread of Life. The person who aligns with me hunger no more and thirsts no more, ever. I have told you this explicitly because even though you have seen me in action, you don't really believe me." See...even though more information was given and they saw with their own eyes, there was still doubt and unbelief.

"...no one is capable of coming to me on his own. You get to me only as a gift from the Father." After this a lot of his disciples left. They no longer wanted to be associated with him. Was Jesus so radical? Were they so programmed regarding their works - what they do on their own, that they couldn't just receive a gift?

So...even though I don't understand everything / can't make sense of it all - why don't I walk away? I know God is real. He has been real in my life. He has been faithful, loving, true, my provider, my protector, etc. I trust Him more than the things that I can see and touch.  I can't walk away from that.  Well...I can...I just choose not to.

Curious...does any of this ring true for you?  Feel free to add your thoughts to mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment