Want to try it yourself? Sure you do!
This is an easy recipe to follow that allows for you to personalize your own whipped body butter.
1 cup unrefined raw shea butter
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup light oil (almond, apricot kernal, grapeseed, olive or jojoba are options)
optional: a few drops (10-15 total) of essential oil
NOTE: - you can substitute the shea butter for cocoa butter or even do 1/2 cup of each.
Got the ingredients? Let's do this!
1. Place the butter and oils in a double boiler (not essential oil) and melt over medium heat. Stir frequently while heating until the oils have melted and the mixture is uniform. It will take 10-12 minutes.
|Three ingredients used : shea butter, coconut oil and almond oil|
|About 7 minutes into melting the mixture|
|Mixture is now uniform and cooling to room temperature|
2. Once the mixture is uniform, remove from the heat and allow mixture to cool to room temperature.
3. After it has cooled to room temperature, place in the fridge and chill for about an hour. NOTE - some sites suggest you put it in the freezer for a portion of time. I have chosen to not follow this method. It will cool faster but you don't want it to get too hard.
|This is the mixture after the hour in the fridge. It's congealed but it is soft and ready to be whipped.|
4. Using a mixer, whip for a total of 10 minutes or until the mixture has a creamy consistency. If you are adding in essential oils, whip for 5 minutes, add the drops and then whip for another 5 minutes.
|About 5 minutes into the process of whipping the body butter|
|Success! Body Butter is whipped.|
5. Spoon body butter into containers and chill for another hour. This product can be stored at room temperature and will keep for a few months.